Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Monday, December 5, 2011

Sheena's side of the story...


I wanted to share my sisters side of the story because I feel like she wrote it very beautifully. I am lucky to have sisters who have been there for me through this very difficult time in my life.

Logan

I feel like I need to document this vital event, because it has changed my life forever...

About 3 weeks ago I just returned from visiting my family in Utah, when I got a call from my mom. She called to tell me that Lauren (my baby sister) had a little bleeding & cramping and was headed up to the hospital. My little sister was 24 weeks (6mo) pregnant and it took her almost 2 yrs to get to pregnant. I told my mom that it probably was nothing and if it was that they would just give her some medications to stop the contractions. Boy was I wrong!

When Lauren got to the hospital L&D was really busy and kinda put Lauren on the back burner. Finally, the Manager of L&D came and got her ready to be checked out. After the manager checked her out things got a little more serious and buzzing around her. The nurse said she was dilated at a 2 which was better than we thought. She gave her a steroid shot to help the baby's lungs develop faster and started her on Magnesium Sulfate to stop the contractions.. which is a icky drug! I was on the phone with my mother when the doctor came in. I asked her if I could listen in and hear the conversation. The doctor informed her that she has a incompetent cervix and they were just pretty much waiting for her water to break. As soon as I heard that I started bawling. I knew it was bad, and that she could have this baby in minute. During all of this my sister remained calm and very positive. She was hoping that they would just have to stay in the hospital until her due date which was still 3 mo away. They also did a ultrasound to see which position the baby was in and he happened to be breech. Ugh, things were not looking good.
We all prayed a lot that day that everything would work out and we would be prepared for whatever happens to her and the baby. I had to work a night shift that night. I tried to take a nap before I went in, but it was just so hard to be million miles away from my family at this critical time. I considered calling in sick, but thought I wouldn't be able to sleep anyways so I decided to just buck up and go in. I remember driving to work and my eyes were so red and puffy from crying all day long it was so hard to see straight. I felt so much peace that evening and knew whatever happened it was in the Lords hands and it was his plan.
Right before shift change I got a phone call from my mom. In a panic, scared, worried voice my mom said that Lauren's water broke. My heart dropped and I was just sick as sick.. I knew that this was bad. I told my mom that everything would be OK and that she needed to be strong for Lauren. She was worried that she would have to have a c-section. The day before the doctor said that if he had to do a c-section on her that most likely they would have to perform a vertical c-section which could cause trouble in her future births. My mom kept praying that the Doctor would know what to do and hopefully she wouldn't have to have a c-section. The Lord was watching over my sister because the doctor decided to take the baby vaginally. It was a great blessing.

Logan Jay Dalpias was born at 8:13 AM on October 19th, 2011 weighing 1 Ib 5 oz & 12.5 in long

I got to speak to my little sister after she gave birth to Logan. I told her how much I loved her and that no matter what happens that the Lord loves us and knows whats best. I told her to remember the sweet sweet spirit she felt when Logan was born. I drove home from work driving past the Las Vegas Strip when the words of "I Know that My Redeemer Lives" I was filled with so much love and comfort from our Lord, Jesus Christ. It was a moment, day that I will never forget.

The next few days Logan had many ups and downs. I felt terrible being so far away from my family that I decided I needed to come back home. My parents good friends have a home down here in Henderson and told me I could hitch a ride home with them. The only thing that I was nervous about was I had to ride home with their two big dogs in the car. I know some people love dogs or animals for that matter, but I am not one of them. I am the type that likes them from a distance. However, I wanted to get home more than anything and this seemed to be the best solution at the time. It was long ride home, but we made it to my parents late Saturday night. I was concern to see my parents broken hearted. I was glad I was home.

The next day I joined my mother at church. The spirit was so strong and the sacrament talks felt so directed to us. They also had a musical piano number of "I Know that My Redeemer Lives." I felt the arms of the Lord around me. It was just what we needed for what laid before us. As we walked in the door to our house Jay D called and said Logan's condition wasn't good and to get to the hospital. Driving up to the hospital I was worried sick. I didn't know what would happen, but I was very anxious to meet my little new nephew.
When I entered the NICU and saw my sweet little sister beside her little boy tears of love streamed down both of our faces. We embraced each other. It was so good to be beside them. Jay D was so cute and said.."Look at my son, isn't he GREAT?" with a big smile on his face. He was just that GREAT! He looked so tiny, and precious. I had a instant love for him. We spent the rest of the day at the hospital with Logan.

Monday morning I called Lauren and asked if I could go back up to the NICU with them. I was lucky to have my dear friend Tara offer to watch Autumn while I went up to the hospital. I dropped her off around 11am and then met up with Jay D & Lars at the hospital. When we got into the NICU Logan's doctor came and spoke with us and told us Logan's condition was getting worse. I was privileged to watch Jay D and Lauren hold and love their sweet baby Logan the rest of the day. I was so impressed by what great parents they were to Logan. All of Jay D's siblings and parents came and the rest of my siblings came to spend they day with Logan. Words can't express what a day it was. The spirit was strong and our love for this precious baby was strong. Logan passed away the night of Oct 24th in my sister and brother-in-laws arms, surrounded by his aunts and uncles, and grandparents. It was a bitter sweet day that I will truly never forget. I am so thankful that I made it in time to meet my sweet nephew. He has changed us for the better.

The first time we got to see his little mouth... He looked so much like my dad, but a lot like Jay D

Nick was able to come up the following day. Lauren and Jay D spent the rest of the week at my parents with us. It was good to be together. We would be crying one moment to laughing the next. I can only imagine how hard it was for my little sister to let her baby go back home with our Heavenly Father. It was hard for me to let him go, but I know he will always be here with us.

We looked all over to find Logan a sweet little outfit to bury him in. This was his little outfit...It still drowned him
Logan Jay was buried in the Ben Lomand cemetery in North Ogden. It was a cold day, but we felt the warmth of his loving arms around us. The service was perfect. My father wrote Logan a poem and then Jay D's dad gave a small talk. After the service I bought white balloons for all Logan's cousins to send up to Heaven for him. This event has brought my family together so much. I have seen so much love from all my siblings. I know Lauren and Jay D are wonderful parents and will be able to raise Logan again someday. My testimony of the church has grown so much through this trail. I know that families can be together forever and I am so thankful for my little family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
We have all had you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. I've wanted to leave a message but never knew quite what to say. What a difficult and heartbraking experience this has been for you and yet, you are so strong and amazing. I've been so touched reading all your posts about Logan and many times brought to tears. He is a beautiful little baby and you will hold him in your arms again someday. Our love goes out to you.